Tuesday, July 8, 2008

no day at the beach

I have to say that despite a wonderfully lazy Saturday, in which I slept until 11:30, finished an amazing book (Eat, Pray, Love) and had African dancers perform in my driveway, and a spiritual Sunday morning that you've just read about, the remainder of Sunday and the weekend was an absolute crazy disaster.

Three members of our group were mugged on Sunday afternoon at Coco Beach. I wasn't involved, and I wasn't even at the beach to be a secondhand witness, but it's still scary and I think we all still can't believe that anybody in our group was victimized like that. I don't want to attempt to tell someone else's emotional story, so please read this great blog entry by the beautiful and talented Jessica.

We're departing on another field trip on Thursday, this time to Kumasi and Mole National Park. The drive from Kumasi (which is in central Ghana) to Mole (waaaay up in the northern region), is long and slow, and we've heard reports of armed robberies along that road. We're taking great precautions to travel only in the daytime, when the roads should be safe, but it's still something I think we're all wary of, especially now in light of the weekend's events. It's extremely likely that the whole trip will be without incident, so don't worry too much ... but feel free to keep us in your thoughts and prayers!

No comments: